In-Service Training Course Code: ECE 0212
CDA Competency: Commitment to Professionalism [2 hours / .2 CEU]
Washington STARS Credit: Child Growth, Development, and Learning[2 hours]
Washington Core Competency: Content Area 7 - Program Planning and Development [2 hours]
> Early Care & Education Professionals [2 hours]
> School-Age Professionals [2 hours]
Oregon Core Body of Knowledge: Special Needs [ 2 hours]
Training Session Title: Autism Awareness
Training Type: Annual Continuing Education Training
Delivery Method: Online
Cost: $21.00 fixed
Session Length: 2 hours
Session Level: 2
Participants will have an opportunity to interact with the trainer/instructor: The student is encouraged to contact the trainer and other student support staff by email, Live Chat, phone for support and resources. Student support hours are 8 am until 9 pm, 7 days a week. Student forum and assignments provide the student with opportunities to share experiences, to engage with the trainer and other students, and to reflect on what they have learned.
Audiences the training applies to:
Language(s) used in training: English
Content Focus Group:
Description of Training Session:
This course familiarizes teachers with characteristics, causes, and warning signs of autism and autism spectrum disorders (ASDs). This course also discusses treatment and therapy options, current legislation and research projects, and family issues that arise from raising a child with autism. Autism is a disorder that affects many children. There are several warning signs and characteristics that parents and teachers should be aware of. Although there is currently no cure or cause of autism, there are several treatment option and therapies that can be used to reduce symptoms. The earlier the disorder is diagnosed, the more the child will benefit.
This is a self-paced course that and can be saved and resumed during any point. Assessment question and answer sessions during the course monitor the students’ progress, and support the student’s progression, and learning objectives. There is a test at the end of each course. The questions on the test are completely based on the materials covered in the specific course. The student must get 70% or better to pass the test. If 70% is not achieved, then the training system automatically takes the student back through the course to review the materials that were missed on the test. The student is then returned to the test to try again for a second attempt if needed.
CEU courses provided by Successful Solutions Professional Development LLC are offered in partnership with Smart Horizons, and can be applied toward the educational requirements of a National CDA Credential or CDA Renewal as required by the Council for Professional Recognition.
1) ENROLLMENT IN THIS COURSE EXPIRES IN 12 MONTHS
2) Student enrollments are activated between 8 am and 9 pm PST, 7 days a week. It can take up to 30 minutes after enrollment for your courses to become active for access. However, in most cases it is within 5 minutes.
3) Enrollments submitted between 9 pm and 8 am (during the night) will be processed by 8:30 am the next morning.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training cannot be done on a mobile device. Cell phones and tablets do not have the required software to run the online In-service courses. A computer with internet access is required to complete the online In-service training.
6) Some students may find that they need to download or update Shockwave, Flash player or Java.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, this is most often the case when trying to use Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.
Posted by Unknown on 14th Jul 2015
I was very happy with this course and its contents. I only have two suggestions. I feel that the person taking the course should be able to read the material on their own without being read to by the narrator. This really slowed down the process. Also, clearer directions on some of the practice questions would be helpful. For example, directions to hold and drag the letter of the statement to the appropriate box would have prevented a lot of frustration on my part. Other than that, it was a good course with valid and up to date information.
Posted by Jessica on 19th May 2015
The online and self-paced features of the training worked best for me.
Posted by Amy on 12th Jul 2014
i went to school with a friend that has autism. its good to learn this before you get a child of your own so you can look for signs and be able to work on the disability
Posted by Sylvia on 11th Jul 2014
It was educational and informative. Keep doing what you are doing to enhance the challenges that teachers, childcare, and parents face daily. I think Live Chat is great and very helpful.
Posted by Claire on 12th Mar 2014
The course was efficiently organized, which was very helpful given the amount of detail in the information. I particularly enjoyed learning about the current legislation because it was something I knew very little about prior to taking this course.
Posted by Amy on 21st Feb 2014
I love the online format. I feel like I learned a lot about the progress made in legislation and research to help families with Autistic children. The summary was very helpful to tie all the information together. The directions on page 35 did not say to drag a letter to the appropriate box. It says to click on the letter and then the box. Clicking does not work, you have to drag. Thank you for quick and great support while I struggled with page 35! I feel like I learned more than I thought I would and I enjoyed the training very much.
Posted by Brett on 4th Feb 2014
Excellent class. There was so much information. I will be able to use this at work.
Posted by Janelle on 23rd Jan 2014
I appreciate the fact that the training is online. I like the info and quiz format.
Posted by Rachelle on 16th Jan 2014
Because of this training I now know what to look for when working with children who may or may not be autistic. Knowing their individual behaviors and how they learn will be extremely helpful to me in the future.
Posted by Gail on 16th Jan 2014
I really like the online format as it allows me to take the course in a time frame that is conducive to dedicating myself to full attention to the content of the course.
I was frustrated with the fact that if I wanted to go back to a certain section to review a particular segment of that section, I had to listen to the entire section again with no way to advance to review information in another section. If a way to change this format is possible without sacrificing the excellence of the course , that would be wonderful.
I so appreciated the thoroughness of this course. Just experienced 10 really tough weeks in a prek class with an undiagnosed autistic child. This course helped me to understand some of the issues they had and gave me some tools for helping them cope in the classroom. thanks so much!
Posted by Christy on 14th Mar 2013
Enjoyed the autism and cultural diversity lessons.