In-Service Training Course Code: ECE 0812
CDA Competency: Advancement of Physical and Intellectual Development [1 hour / .1 CEU]
Washington STARS Credit: Curriculum Development[1 hour]
Washington Core Competency: Content Area 2 Curriculum and Learning Environment [1 hour / .1 CEU]
> Early Care & Education Professionals [1 hour]
Oregon Core Body of Knowledge: Learning Environments & Curriculum [1 hour]
Training Type: Annual Continuing Education
Training Delivery Method: Online
Session Length: 1 Hour
Session Level: 2
Participants will have an opportunity to interact with the trainer/instructor: The student is encouraged to contact the trainer and other student support staff by email, Live Chat, phone for support and resources. Student support hours are 8 am until 9 pm, 7 days a week. Student forum and assignments provide the student with opportunities to share experiences, to engage with the trainer and other students, and to reflect on what they have learned.
Audiences the training applies to:
Language(s) used in training: English
Content Focus Group:
Description of Training Session:
This lesson discusses math concepts and how to impart those concepts to children via discovery learning that allows young learners to explore methods of problem solving through group work, games, real live examples, manipulatives, and teacher provided scenarios. The primary goal is to allow children to play active roles in their education process while the teacher becomes an observer and uses children’s natural curiosity to facilitate discovery of mathematical concepts through play.
This course familiarizes students with the use of discovery and play in math education. These methods allow children to explore math in a play setting while allowing them to generate their own solutions to mathematical problems posed by the child care provider.
This is a self-paced course that and can be saved and resumed during any point. Assessment question and answer sessions during the course monitor the students’ progress, and support the student’s progression, and learning objectives. There is a test at the end of each course. The questions on the test are completely based on the materials covered in the specific course. The student must get 70% or better to pass the test. If 70% is not achieved, then the training system automatically takes the student back through the course to review the materials that were missed on the test. The student is then returned to the test to try again for a second attempt if needed.
All courses are completely online. Nothing will be shipped.
1) ENROLLMENT IN THIS COURSE EXPIRES IN 12 MONTHS
2) Student enrollments are activated between 8 am and 9 pm PST, 7 days a week. It can take up to 30 minutes after enrollment for your courses to become active for access. However, in most cases it is within 5 minutes.
3) Enrollments submitted between 9 pm and 8 am (during the night) will be processed by 8:30 am the next morning.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training cannot be done on a mobile device. Cell phones and tablets do not have the required software to run the online In-service courses. A computer with internet access is required to complete the online In-service training.
6) Some students may find that they need to download or update Shockwave, Flash player or Java.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, this is most often the case when trying to use Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.
Posted by Nancy on 17th Mar 2015
I appreciated the concrete examples of how to use math concepts during everyday activities. I was very pleased to realize that I do some of these things everyday without thinking about it. Now I have a few more to add, thank you!
Posted by Tiffani on 26th Jan 2015
This had a lot of valuable information!
Posted by Brittany on 26th Sep 2014
I enjoyed this training course due to I for one do not like math. But making math fun for children through play helps children engage even more then usual becasue they are gaining the knowledge of grouping together, counting aloud, Identifying how many, learning geometry through play is so important for children to learn at a young age.
This opens a whole new wide of variety of ways to incorporate math in our everyday learning. This helped me understand and gain more ideas of ways to help children learn math in their everyday learning strategies.