This is a non-CEU Course. ** DEL MERIT Approved STARS **
Mobile Devices: This course MAY be mobile friendly. However, because every device is different, we are unable to guarantee compatibility. Our student support staff is unable to provide technical support when students are attempting to use an iPad, tablet or cell phone to complete an online course. Use of an iPad, tablet, or cell phone is at your own risk.
Washington STARS Credit: Health, Safety and Nutrition (4 hours)
Training Delivery Method: Online
Content Focus Group:
Training Type: Annual Continuing Education Training
Training Level: 2
Training Language(s): English
Description: (4 hours) Online Self-Paced – Open Enrollment * When it comes to making healthy food choices and being physically active, adults need to be role models and involve children in making healthy living decisions. Give children building blocks for a healthy lifestyle by teaching them the importance of good nutrition and regular physical activity. Eating well and being physically active every day are keys to a child’s health and well-being. Make healthy eating and daily physical activity fun, to help children learn good habits to last a lifetime.
This training will begin with reviewing your responsibilities, as a provider, to assure that the food that children eat is safe. We will also discuss child care licensing requirements for menu planning, taking food appeal into consideration, teaching children about nutrition, and the importance of physical activity.
1) ENROLLMENT IN THIS COURSE EXPIRES IN 12 MONTHS
2) Student enrollments are activated between 8 am and 9 pm PST, 7 days a week. It can take up to 30 minutes after enrollment for your courses to become active for access. However, in most cases it is within 5 minutes.
3) Enrollments submitted between 9 pm and 8 am (during the night) will be processed by 8:30 am the next morning.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training is not tested on mobile devices or designed to be used on a mobile device. We are unable to provide technical support if you are attempting to use a mobile device (cell phone, tablet, or any other device other than a computer). And though many students may find that they are able to use their mobile device to complete the course, this training was developed to be done on a computer. Use of a mobile device is at your own risk.
6) This course uses multi-media video presentations. You will be required to view videos on your computer or mobile device in order to complete this course. Some students may find that they need to download Shockwave, Flash player or Java to view videos.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, or Java, in order to log into the course, this is most often the case when trying to use Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.
Posted by Rose on 13th Feb 2016
I did good but I am a slow reader because I what to keep it fresh in my head. Thank you for the last two or three classes.
I have learn a lot .
Posted by Brett on 8th Feb 2016
I really liked all the examples of how to get kids to eat healthy foods and the information about requirements in feeding kids in childcare.
Posted by Lynette on 5th Feb 2016
I feel this course offered a wealth of knowledge. I would be more than happy to recommend this class to anyone interested
Posted by Holly on 30th Nov 2015
I enjoyed the creative ways you can use to get kids interested in food. Especially field trips to the grocery store and tasting party!
Posted by Melissa on 29th Nov 2015
The worksheets and reading other comments were helpful and gave me some good ideas.
Posted by Susan on 13th Aug 2015
This was great and had a lot of wonderful ideas. I really appreciate adding to the things we already do. The children will be very excited.
Posted by Heather on 16th Feb 2015
being at home taking this course was awesome. i did get some great ideas for meal time:)
Posted by Unknown on 9th Feb 2015
this course was very easy to understand how its important to teach the children learn how to eat healthy.
Posted by Linda on 22nd Jan 2015
Although my learning style is not usually working with computers, this platform received a "strongly agree" because it was easy to follow. Live Chat has always proved to be positive support.
Posted by Brittanie on 22nd Jan 2015
I enjoyed all the handouts and different websites that I learned about. I also enjoyed the access at home.
Posted by Mandy on 19th Jan 2015
All of it worked best for me... I loved everything about it. I did have a problem with submitting comments in the discussion room but I was able to chat with a student support rep who was amazing and helpful. Live Chat was HELPFUL and the woman who helped me stuck with me through the who program. thank you
Posted by Samuelle on 15th Jan 2015
Being able to work on the training at home, being able to stop and come back. I love slides versus long text. It helps with staying interested
Posted by fariba on 8th Dec 2014
feeding children healtly food is important for a number of reasons. food gives children the energy for play , think ,active ,and grow.
Food help them stay healthly.
Safty prepared food help them avoid food illness.
Children feel more comfortable, less grouchy and more secure when they are not hungry.
Children develop self esteem as they learn to feed themselves.
When children eat with others,they develop social and communication skills.