HIV/AIDS Awareness & Bloodborne Pathogens (.4 CEU/4 Hours)
Course Description for HIV/AIDS Awareness (.2 CEU / 2 Hours): This course describes historical background and general statistics of HIV/AIDS. It describes HIV/AIDS methods of transmission, symptoms, and treatment options. Techniques for prevention and legal issues pertaining to HIV/AIDS are also identified.
Course Description for Bloodborne Pathogens (.2 CEU / 2 Hours): This course describes bloodborne pathogens and defines associated terminology. It also discusses signs, symptoms, and treatments of the most commonly encountered bloodborne diseases, their methods of transmission, ways to prevent exposure to bloodborne pathogens, and beneficial actions following any incidental exposure.
HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne courses do not meet the requirements for STARS. These courses meet a different regulation other than annual training requirements, and are in addition to STARS.
Duration: 4 hours
Washington State Child Care Professionals
You cannot take this course to meet annual STARS Training requirements.
This course meets the training requirements for HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne Pathogens.
WAC 170-295-1110 - Washington Regulations
Washington Child Care Regulations for HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne Pathogens
Every employee who is included in the staff to child ratio in a child care program must have written proof of HIV/AIDS and blood-borne pathogen training that includes prevention, transmission, treatment and confidentiality issues. HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne courses do not meet the requirements for STARS. These courses meet a different regulation other than annual STARS training requirements, and are in addition to STARS.
We encounter providers that are confused about the requirements for HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne Pathogens. No matter where or how you complete HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne Pathogens courses, they will never earn STARS credit. These courses are required under a separate law from STARS - in addition to STARS.
Child care professionals are required to complete 10 hours of annual STARS training, after the initial Child Care Basics. When STARS training is complete, then we record it in the providers MERIT profile.
HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne Pathogens is not recorded in MERIT by the trainer. Instead, the child care professional should keep their certificate for HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne Pathogens in their employee file, and provide it to the licensor upon request.
All courses are completely online. Nothing will be shipped.
1) ENROLLMENT IN THIS COURSE EXPIRES IN 12 MONTHS
2) Student enrollments are activated between 8 am and 9 pm PST, 7 days a week. It can take up to 30 minutes after enrollment for your courses to become active for access. However, in most cases it is within 5 minutes.
3) Enrollments submitted between 9 pm and 8 am (during the night) will be processed by 8:30 am the next morning.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training cannot be done on a mobile device. Cell phones and tablets do not have the required software to run the online In-service courses. A computer with internet access is required to complete the online In-service training.
6) Some students may find that they need to download or update Shockwave, Flash player or Java.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, this is most often the case when trying to use Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.
Posted by Unknown on 23rd Jul 2015
This course is very well put together. It packs a fair amount of information into a course that can be completed in a couple of hours. Would recommend.
Posted by Rajvir on 11th Jun 2014
All of the format and knowledge was very easily understood.
Posted by Kala on 30th Apr 2014
The content layout was easy to follow and understand. I liked the questions that occurred throughout the course to prepare you for the test at the end because they did just that. I also liked being able to hear the information being presented. This made digesting the information easier.
Posted by Rhonda on 22nd Feb 2014
It's nice having the visual and audio. They don't speed read through it. I have found this site very helpful with my ongoing training. Due to my busy schedule, I can access it on my time. Their quick to respond to my questions and/or concerns.
Posted by Stacey on 4th Feb 2014
I appreciated having the course content read to me as I am strongly a visual and auditory learner.
Posted by Amy on 4th Feb 2014
I liked that i was able to look over the information about a question that i missed. It helped make sure that i fully understood.
Posted by Haley on 29th Jan 2014
One part of the training that worked best for me was that I could work on it at my own pace. Another part that worked really well for me was that the modules were broken down into small chapters, so I could understand and recall what I learned after each chapter.
Posted by Sunny on 29th Jan 2014
Just so very grateful to the Chat/Support line. I would not have been able to navigate my way around without all the support; thank you so much!
Posted by Rachel on 28th Jan 2014
The whole training was a great one. I learned a lot of things and it was a great refresher for the things I already knew.
Posted by Cindy on 28th Jan 2014
I liked that the explanations were in simple terms and easy to understand. The quizzes at the end of each lesson were extremely helpful to ensure that I was grasping the information.
Posted by Cynthia on 24th Jan 2014
I thought it was nice to have it read to me as I followed along.
Posted by Patrice on 16th Jan 2014
It was easy to understand once I got started and it was user friendly.
Posted by Makenzie on 15th Jan 2014
The instructor reading out loud and being able to click on high lighted words or pictures were the best part of the training.
Posted by Ashlee on 14th Jan 2014
The need to listen to the whole lesson as well as being able to read it was very helpful. Each mini-quiz was also useful in catching areas I was not paying close enough attention to, making me revise that section.
Posted by Cris Eng on 13th Jun 2011
This training package was a good price and it was good to be able to take both courses at the same time. I had a little trouble at the beginning and I asked for help on the messenger button and the teacher told me what to do. I will deffinately do more training here. Thank you for all your help.