Course Description: This course describes historical background and general statistics of HIV/AIDS. It describes HIV/AIDS methods of transmission, symptoms, and treatment options. Techniques for prevention and legal issues pertaining to HIV/AIDS are also identified.
Duration: 2 hours
HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne courses do not meet the requirements for STARS. These courses meet a different regulation other than annual training requirements, and are in addition to STARS.
WAC 170-295-1110 - Washington Regulations
CEU courses provided by Successful Solutions Professional Development LLC are offered in partnership with Smart Horizons, and can be applied toward the educational requirements of a National CDA Credential or CDA Renewal as required by the Council for Professional Recognition.
Washington State Child Care Professionals
You cannot take this course to meet annual STARS Training requirements.
This course meets the training requirements for HIV/AIDS Training.
Washington Child Care Regulations for HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne Pathogens
Every employee who is included in the staff to child ratio in a child care program must have written proof of HIV/AIDS and bloodborne pathogen training that includes prevention, transmission, treatment and confidentiality issues. HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne courses do not meet the requirements for STARS. These courses meet a different regulation other than annual STARS training requirements, and are in addition to STARS.
We encounter providers that are confused about the requirements for HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne Pathogens. No matter where or how you complete HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne Pathogens courses, they will never earn STARS credit. These courses are required under a separate law from STARS - in addition to STARS.
Child care professionals are required to complete 10 hours of annual STARS training, after the initial Child Care Basics. When STARS training is complete, then we record it in the providers MERIT profile.
HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne Pathogens is not recorded in MERIT by the trainer. Instead, the child care professional should keep their certificate for HIV/AIDS and Bloodborne Pathogens in their employee file, and provide it to the licensor upon request.
All courses are completely online. Nothing will be shipped.
1) ENROLLMENT IN THIS COURSE EXPIRES IN 12 MONTHS
2) Student enrollments are activated between 8 am and 9 pm PST, 7 days a week. It can take up to 30 minutes after enrollment for your courses to become active for access. However, in most cases it is within 5 minutes.
3) Enrollments submitted between 9 pm and 8 am (during the night) will be processed by 8:30 am the next morning.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training cannot be done on a mobile device. Cell phones and tablets do not have the required software to run the online In-service courses. A computer with internet access is required to complete the online In-service training.
6) Some students may find that they need to download or update Shockwave, Flash player or Java.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, this is most often the case when trying to use Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.
Posted by Audrey on 29th Jan 2014
I liked it that the information was visual and auditory.
Posted by Vanessa on 29th Jan 2014
I liked that the training was read to me. I was able to follow along and I appreciated that if I did get a question wrong, it would take me back to review it again so I had a greater understanding.
Posted by Lonny on 28th Jan 2014
The ease of access to the course was so nice! Being able to pace myself was very helpful ! The information was, for the most part, to the point.