In-Service Training Course Code: ECE 0112
CDA Competency: Advancement of Physical and Intellectual Development [1 hour / .1 CEU]
Washington STARS Credit: Curriculum Development[1 hour]
Washington Core Competency: Content Area 2 Curriculum and Learning Environment [1 hour]
> Early Care & Education Professionals [1 hour]
Oregon Core Body of Knowledge: Learning Environments & Curriculum [1 hour]
Training Type: Annual Continuing Education
Training Delivery Method: Online
Session Length: 1 Hour
Session Level: 2
Participants will have an opportunity to interact with the trainer/instructor: The student is encouraged to contact the trainer and other student support staff by email, Live Chat, phone for support and resources. Student support hours are 8 am until 9 pm, 7 days a week. Student forum and assignments provide the student with opportunities to share experiences, to engage with the trainer and other students, and to reflect on what they have learned.
Audiences the training applies to:
Language(s) used in training: English
Content Focus Group:
Description of Training Session:
During the early childhood years, children’s focus grows mentally, physically and emotionally. This growth is naturally accomplished through play. Unfortunately, time for play could be at risk in childcare facilities due to the growing pressure on academic initiatives and standards. However, time for play does not have to be reduced in order to fulfill academic requirements; research demonstrates that learning in early childhood is best accomplished through play. Play is beneficial for developmental growth.
This course defines the term play and discusses different types of play. It also discusses the various reasons why play is necessary for children and the roles teachers perform when promoting learning through play.
This is a self-paced course that and can be saved and resumed during any point. Assessment question and answer sessions during the course monitor the students’ progress, and support the student’s progression, and learning objectives. There is a test at the end of each course. The questions on the test are completely based on the materials covered in the specific course. The student must get 70% or better to pass the test. If 70% is not achieved, then the training system automatically takes the student back through the course to review the materials that were missed on the test. The student is then returned to the test to try again for a second attempt if needed.
All courses are completely online. Nothing will be shipped.
1) ENROLLMENT IN THIS COURSE EXPIRES IN 12 MONTHS
2) Student enrollments are activated between 8 am and 9 pm PST, 7 days a week. It can take up to 30 minutes after enrollment for your courses to become active for access. However, in most cases it is within 5 minutes.
3) Enrollments submitted between 9 pm and 8 am (during the night) will be processed by 8:30 am the next morning.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training cannot be done on a mobile device. Cell phones and tablets do not have the required software to run the online In-service courses. A computer with internet access is required to complete the online In-service training.
6) Some students may find that they need to download or update Shockwave, Flash player or Java.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, this is most often the case when trying to use Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.
Posted by Bethany on 20th Jan 2015
Being able to listen to someone say the words as I read them helped me to remember the content.
Posted by Brittany on 26th Sep 2014
The training was very informative by giving many examples of how important it is that emergent, oral, phonological awareness is so important in the early years of a child.
I will use some of these techniques in my classroom throughout the year to improve how important our A,B, C ' s are and how we can implement daily into our daily routines.
Posted by Brittany on 26th Sep 2014
I learned a lot from this course, and I will implement this in my planning activities, understanding the meaning of Cooperative-play with peers of adults..Independent-play of an individual..Active-Physical play..Constructive-building or making things..Fantasy-pretend play..Rule-based-events that have rules...you hear this all the time, but sometimes we as teachers need to be reminded a lot more then usual to the meaning behind what we do with children everyday. This course was very informative about how to increase children's vocabulary daily throughout play, giving them open opportunities throughout the day to enhance and gain knowledge of how to be creative in their fantasy play.
Posted by Hayley on 24th Jan 2014
I like the audio and the pictures to help with the reading of the material. It makes it easy to understand and remember key points. This is a topic that I strongly agree with. Even though academics are important I do feel that play is the foundation for learning later on in life. It's important for teachers to understand there are many different types of play that can also promote different kinds of learning while they are young.
Successful Solutions Training in Child Development