This is a non-CEU Course. ** DEL MERIT Approved STARS **
Mobile Devices: This course MAY be mobile friendly. However, because every device is different, we are unable to guarantee compatibility. Our student support staff is unable to provide technical support when students are attempting to use an iPad, tablet or cell phone to complete an online course. Use of an iPad, tablet, or cell phone is at your own risk.
Washington STARS Credit: Curriculum and Learning Environment (2 hours)
Training Delivery Method: Online
Content Focus Group:
Training Type: Annual Continuing Education Training
Training Level: 1
Training Language(s): English
Description: (2 hours) Online Self-Paced – Open Enrollment * New research actually shows that nature is essential for the brain. Even fleeting exposures to natural settings outside the windows can improve brain performance. One study demonstrates that just looking at a natural scene can improve scores on tests of attention and memory. Nature also has a calming effect on the brain. It can catch our attention without overloading our brain. Allowing children the time to nurture a connection with nature, we are granting them the freedom to develop intrinsic motivation - the ability to recognize what it is they want and to develop the desire and focus to achieve their goals. The experience of children and nature has to be part of daily life--the opportunity not only for playing in green space, but also the opportunity for being alone, having the chance to daydream, to wonder, to just be there.
1) ENROLLMENT IN THIS COURSE EXPIRES IN 12 MONTHS
2) Student enrollments are activated between 8 am and 9 pm PST, 7 days a week. It can take up to 30 minutes after enrollment for your courses to become active for access. However, in most cases it is within 5 minutes.
3) Enrollments submitted between 9 pm and 8 am (during the night) will be processed by 8:30 am the next morning.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training is not tested on mobile devices or designed to be used on a mobile device. We are unable to provide technical support if you are attempting to use a mobile device (cell phone, tablet, or any other device other than a computer). And though many students may find that they are able to use their mobile device to complete the course, this training was developed to be done on a computer. Use of a mobile device is at your own risk.
6) This course uses multi-media video presentations. You will be required to view videos on your computer or mobile device in order to complete this course. Some students may find that they need to download Shockwave, Flash player or Java to view videos.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, or Java, in order to log into the course, this is most often the case when trying to use Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.
Showing reviews 1-20 of 25 | Next
Posted by Julie on 12th Feb 2016
This was an excellent training!! I really enjoyed it and will use some of the examples in the classroom.
It is very sad to think that Nature experiences are a thing of the past but I would like to hope that parents and families take back nature.
Posted by Brett on 8th Feb 2016
I was very interested in the topic and learned a lot. Some facts were alarming, but I can see that there are organizations that are trying to make changes. I'm thankful that I work for a woman that sees the importance of outdoor play.
Posted by Tamara on 4th Feb 2016
I liked the videos and the ability to go back and repeat information Ewing taught.
Posted by Janine on 29th Nov 2015
I enjoyed the readings...but, I also enjoyed the video clips. it was good to see different ways to set up my classroom to be more 'nature related' . I also enjoyed seeing the ideas for playground things.
Posted by Erica on 11th Aug 2015
The youtube videos were amazing. I loved the videos of just observing the children play in a nature based playground. It allowed me to come up with my own understanding of the topic
Posted by Andrea on 17th Jun 2015
I found this topic to be very important, interesting and useful! I enjoyed the videos as am a visual learner.
Posted by Nancy on 17th Jun 2015
I really enjoyed the video segments and was so pleased to find out that there are some great groups out there that address a solution to the lack of natural experiences for children and families quite common in this media-based world. It would be so fun to be able to design a playground like the one shown in the video (to assist children with ASD and other disabilities) - I loved it!
Posted by Kenny on 17th Jun 2015
I love the training & contents of the course. Did learn a lot myself and recommend every one to go through this.
Posted by Ryan on 13th May 2015
The videos were great. All speakers had in depth knowledge of topic. The final video where the kids were just playing, that all, was just kind of that A-ha moment. That's were they should love to be and what they need daily...Playing and exploring.
This has been my favorite stars training to date. I love nature anyway, and go for nature walks with my kiddos I work with plus my own children. But the statistics in this fast paced electronic world was a wake up call.
Posted by Jacqueline on 21st Apr 2015
I loved the videos. I learn better when I can see what the training is talking about. Thank you! It was such and inspirational training that makes me want to better my work with my children.
Posted by Maureen on 27th Mar 2015
Wonderful ideas for me to create better areas both inside and outside so we can all enjoy nature.
Posted by Jennifer on 24th Mar 2015
i am grateful that this important subject is being brought to the mainstream education. I appreciate all that was brought. Thank you
Posted by Katherine on 7th Feb 2015
I liked all of the videos about outdoor play and effects that it could have on children. As well as how important it is that children get their outdoor time daily so that they are not getting depressed, obese. This section was very helpful. I will be sharing the information and new things I learned with my staff.
Posted by Michailah on 4th Feb 2015
All of it was enlightening. Though some parts were repeated, it all was information well worth hearing twice. The videos were great.
Posted by Heather on 2nd Feb 2015
This topic is extremely relevant to our modern world, and I am encouraged to see the message being passed on through such compelling and positive messages for children and adults alike.
Posted by Nancy on 30th Jan 2015
I actually like the entire format. The video's and written assignments were great
Posted by Jean on 22nd Jan 2015
information on special needs will come in very handy
Posted by Patricia on 22nd Jan 2015
Creating inspiring spaces for children
Posted by Colleen on 15th Jan 2015
I loved the videos! Excellent training! I am looking forward to applying what I have learned in my classroom! Thank you!
Posted by Brittanie on 15th Jan 2015
Nature is critical in childrens development and I learned so much more from this class.
Showing reviews 1-20 of 25 | Next