School-Age Initial STARS Training
This course meets the basic STARS training requirements for school-age staff providers only.
This online training takes approximately 15-20 hours to complete. It is a self-paced program, which you can start, stop, and resume at any time. The training platform is simple to navigate, and has been successfully tested on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.
1) ENROLLMENT IN THIS COURSE EXPIRES IN 6 MONTHS
2) Student enrollments are activated between 8 am and 9 pm PST, 7 days a week. It can take up to 30 minutes after enrollment for your courses to become active for access. However, in most cases it is within 5 minutes.
3) Enrollments submitted between 9 pm and 8 am (during the night) will be processed by 8:30 am the next morning.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training is not tested on mobile devices or designed to be used on a mobile device. We are unable to provide technical support if you are attempting to use a mobile device (cell phone, tablet, or any other device other than a computer). And though many students may find that they are able to use their mobile device to complete the course, this training was developed to be done on a computer. Use of a mobile device is at your own risk.
6) This course uses multi-media video presentations. You will be required to view videos on your computer or mobile device in order to complete this course. Some students may find that they need to download Shockwave, Flash player or Java to view videos.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, or Java, in order to log into the course, this is most often the case when trying to using Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.
Posted by Brandi on 3rd Mar 2016
I was able to learn a lot of new tools that I can bring back to my site. Things I think we can work on to improve how we run things. I feel like I can go to my next shift with a new understanding of what is expected of me and my peers. I got some new game ideas and snack ideas as well.
Posted by Andrea on 8th Feb 2016
really enjoyed the clear and understandable information.
Posted by Carly on 3rd Feb 2016
The training platform worked perfectly for me. The layout or assignments and discussion prompts were perfect for learning how to apply the course content.
Posted by Molly on 2nd Feb 2016
great course. simple and straight forward. the videos were very helpful.
Posted by Deana on 29th Nov 2015
I like the video segments. Clear information and easy to follow on-line.
Posted by Dee on 28th Nov 2015
I'm so happy I found this online training. It made it easy to obtain my STARS certificate and start my new job. I will definitely be obtaining my CE trainings here also.
Posted by Kathryn on 13th Aug 2015
I enjoyed being able to read at my own pace.
Posted by Serena on 11th Aug 2015
The fact that I could go on whenever I wanted to and work at my own pace really helped.
Posted by Stacy on 24th Mar 2015
I have learned a lot of things that I did not know, and a lot that I feel that has helped me grow, or just be aware of.
Posted by Unknown on 15th Mar 2015
Did learn a lot, very informative, loved it.
Posted by Kylie on 27th Aug 2014
This training has been SO beneficial for me, particularly in how to plan activities effectively and how to guide children away from misbehavior and towards good behavior. improved. I LOVED this training. It was informative and clear, as well as interesting and all-encompassing.
Posted by Brittany on 31st Mar 2014
I will definitely make sure to consider all children's learning styles when designing a lesson plan or activity within our program. I would also like to incorporate more child participation in the program planning process. I think that this course was very helpful to my daily responsibilities as a child care provider, and I am excited about using all of the lessons learned.
Posted by Beth on 25th Mar 2014
I will be able to pay closer attention on how best to respond to children's misbehavior and how each child differs. This training will also make transitioning kids from parents to child care, between activities, and betweeen rooms easier.
Posted by Danielle on 25th Mar 2014
I will use many things from this training, such as how to care more for children. Also, how important it is to know how to handle a hard task in difficult situations. The training helped me improve on how I solve children's problems. I will understand the children more and make them feel better about themselves.
Posted by Michelle on 20th Mar 2014
This information has already helped me to think for critically about the activities I plan, the language that I use, and the way that I deal with misbehavior.
Posted by Kay on 7th Mar 2014
I will use this information in my daily program involvement and in other programs. I will share any relevant information to parents or other child care staff if they are interested in different ways of working with a certain child or a group of children. improved. I think visuals could be useful or videos that explain some of the information. For being all reading, it is very concise though, and the review quizzes were useful and not too long or too short.
Posted by Montia on 18th Feb 2014
I will use this information to better our program and I will use the tools I learned to better deal with situations that come up on a daily basis.