This is a non-CEU Course. ** DEL MERIT Approved STARS **
Mobile Devices: This course MAY be mobile friendly. However, because every device is different, we are unable to guarantee compatibility. Our student support staff is unable to provide technical support when students are attempting to use an iPad, tablet or cell phone to complete an online course. Use of an iPad, tablet, or cell phone is at your own risk.
Washington STARS credit: Curriculum & Learning Environment (2 hours)
CDA Content Area: Advancement of Physical and Intellectual Development (2 hours)
Training Delivery Method: Online
Content Focus Group:
Training Type: Annual Continuing Education Training
Training Level: 2
Training Language(s): English
Description: (2 hours) Online Self-Paced – Open Enrollment * For decades, author, poet, illustrator, and musician Shel Silverstein has created works of art that have resonated with adults and children alike. From his poems about imaginary creatures to a heartwarming book about a maternal relationship between a boy and a tree, Silverstein’s work provides countless opportunities to expand upon important early childhood educational concepts. This course will instruct participants on the benefits of these opportunities as well as lesson plans and practical suggestions to use them in an existing program.
1) ENROLLMENT IN THIS COURSE EXPIRES IN 12 MONTHS
2) Student enrollments are activated between 8 am and 9 pm PST, 7 days a week. It can take up to 30 minutes after enrollment for your courses to become active for access. However, in most cases it is within 5 minutes.
3) Enrollments submitted between 9 pm and 8 am (during the night) will be processed by 8:30 am the next morning.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training is not tested on mobile devices or designed to be used on a mobile device. We are unable to provide technical support if you are attempting to use a mobile device (cell phone, tablet, or any other device other than a computer). And though many students may find that they are able to use their mobile device to complete the course, this training was developed to be done on a computer. Use of a mobile device is at your own risk.
6) This course uses multi-media video presentations. You will be required to view videos on your computer or mobile device in order to complete this course. Some students may find that they need to download Shockwave, Flash player or Java to view videos.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, or Java, in order to log into the course, this is most often the case when trying to use Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.
Posted by Cassandra on 15th Feb 2016
I enjoyed the Poems and Lesson Plan Ideas.
I found the material to be very informative.
Posted by Laurie on 15th Feb 2016
I really enjoyed this lesson because it provided some really fun poems to share with my children. I will definitely look back on this lesson and use what I learned.
Posted by Terri on 3rd Feb 2016
Literacy is a special part of not only my life long learning but in my classroom to promote healthy learners. Hearing the poems and reading ideas to incorporate within the classroom made this class exciting.
Posted by Heather on 3rd Feb 2016
I was thankful to be able to do this online, and felt the quality of the training was only enhanced by this format.
Posted by Jan on 3rd Feb 2016
I certainly like the lesson plans. The Silverstein books and poems are a wealth of information already but these ideas for implementing better learning opportunities for the children are valued by me and our center.
Posted by Yvette on 29th Nov 2015
It really opened my mind up to using poetry in my daycare.
Posted by Ryan on 6th Sep 2015
I really enjoyed this course. I remember my second grade teacher read from Shel Silverstein books...I can still remember most of the poems she read...some were silly and some were relatable. This course was great to learn how to bring poetry back into the class room(from toddler to school age) and provide learning tools to go along with the poems. Great Course and Great reminder how important poetry is.