This is a non-CEU Course. ** DEL MERIT Approved STARS ** CDA Training
Mobile Devices: This course MAY be mobile friendly. However, because every device is different, we are unable to guarantee compatibility. Our student support staff is unable to provide technical support when students are attempting to use an iPad, tablet or cell phone to complete an online course. Use of an iPad, tablet, or cell phone is at your own risk.
Washington STARS credit: Curriculum and Learning Environment (3 hours)
CDA Content Area: Advancement of Physical and Intellectual Development (3 hours)
Training Delivery Method: Online
Content Focus Group: School-Age Children
Training Type: Annual Continuing Education Training
Training Level: 2
Core Competencies: Curriculum & Learning Environment(3.00)
Training Language(s): English
Description: (3 hours) Online Self-Paced – Open Enrollment * Research shows that play promotes healthy social, cognitive, and physical development. A wide variety of activities can be categorized as play. Methods of play can be directed by an adult or determined by children. School-age children come to the school-age program after a full day of “work” at school, where most of their activities are planned and controlled by adults. By the time children arrive at the school-age program, they need to burn off some steam. Play is a child’s important work. Therefore, it is important for children to spend a good deal of the time at the school-age program playing. Program staff should set-up activities with choices for children to pick from, and staff to guide and direct children to these activities. To support their learning, caregivers should provide a safe environment and supervised freedom to move and explore. They also need opportunities throughout the day to move, climb, and explore.
1) ENROLLMENT IN THIS COURSE EXPIRES IN 12 MONTHS
2) Student enrollments are activated between 8 am and 9 pm PST, 7 days a week. It can take up to 30 minutes after enrollment for your courses to become active for access. However, in most cases it is within 5 minutes.
3) Enrollments submitted between 9 pm and 8 am (during the night) will be processed by 8:30 am the next morning.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training is not tested on mobile devices or designed to be used on a mobile device. We are unable to provide technical support if you are attempting to use a mobile device (cell phone, tablet, or any other device other than a computer). And though many students may find that they are able to use their mobile device to complete the course, this training was developed to be done on a computer. Use of a mobile device is at your own risk.
6) This course uses multi-media video presentations. You will be required to view videos on your computer or mobile device in order to complete this course. Some students may find that they need to download Shockwave, Flash player or Java to view videos.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, or Java, in order to log into the course, this is most often the case when trying to use Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.
Posted by Shanell on 3rd Feb 2016
The training was a very easy, go at your own speed type course, and it was very interesting, which kept me wanting to come back to it.
Posted by Tiffany on 26th Jan 2015
The time flexibility worked best for me. I was able to go through pages that had info that I already new quickly but was able to spend as much time as I wanted on the pages that had new info/ideas. I loved the specific ideas for different kinds of play. Live chat was very fast and very helpful!
Posted by Daline on 22nd Oct 2014
I enjoyed the ideas that they promoted. This will give me ideas for the future.
Posted by Elizabeth on 12th Aug 2014
I loved watching the live videos! This was a great combo of reading on my own and visual videos I really enjoyed it. I was confused about weather or not I was suppose to comment on some of the questions of if it was voluntary?
Posted by Tamara on 22nd Jul 2014
love the whole thing- really appreciate the current nature of the information and various ways delivered. I liked the videos shared from other parts of the world and country. It was very relevant and current information blended with things I have learned through my 10 years in the field. It took me longer than 3 hours
Posted by Megan on 1st Jul 2014
I really like the different sensory ideas and all the different ways they can play and get creative
Posted by Lori on 28th May 2014
I think this was great and I'm going to have my school age staff take this asap.
Posted by Tiffany on 17th Apr 2014
I love the idea of the different work stations and will attempt to fit as many as I can in my space. I've recently changed from taking care of babies and toddlers to school agers and really needed some ideas of fun things for them to do!