In-Service Training Course Code: SIGN
CDA Competency: Enhancement of Social and Emotional Development [10 hours]
Washington STARS Credit: Child Growth, Development, and Learning [10 hours]
Washington Core Competency: Content Area 1 Child Growth & Development [10 hours]
> Early Care & Education Professionals [10 hours]
Training Session Title: Time to Sign with Children
Training Type: Annual Continuing Education
Training Delivery Method: Online
Session Length: 10 hours
Session Level: 3
Participants will have an opportunity to interact with the trainer/instructor: The student is encouraged to contact the trainer and other student support staff by email, Live Chat, phone for support and resources. Student support hours are 8 am until 9 pm, 7 days a week. Student forum and assignments provide the student with opportunities to share experiences, to engage with the trainer and other students, and to reflect on what they have learned.
Audiences the training applies to:
Language(s) used in training: English
Content Focus Group:
Description of Training Session:
American Sign Language (ASL) is a language used in the U.S. and Canada that uses no voice. This means that ASL is not derived from English, or any other voiced or spoken language. ASL had its own unique grammar and language structure (or syntax). ASL is a true and natural language where the sign often mimics the experiences with ideas or objects.
This lesson discusses the seven things you should know prior to signing, the six basic components of American Sign Language (ASL), identifying when children are ready to sign, using sign language in your daily routine as well as in the classroom, the three channels of interpersonal communication, and the importance of empathic listening.
This is a self-paced course that and can be saved and resumed during any point. Assessment question and answer sessions during the course monitor the students’ progress, and support the student’s progression, and learning objectives. There is a test at the end of each course. The questions on the test are completely based on the materials covered in the specific course. The student must get 70% or better to pass the test. If 70% is not achieved, then the training system automatically takes the student back through the course to review the materials that were missed on the test. The student is then returned to the test to try again for a second attempt if needed.
CEU courses provided by Successful Solutions Professional Development LLC are offered in partnership with Smart Horizons, and can be applied toward the educational requirements of a National CDA Credential or CDA Renewal as required by the Council for Professional Recognition.
1) ENROLLMENT IN THIS COURSE EXPIRES IN 12 MONTHS
2) Student enrollments are activated between 8 am and 9 pm PST, 7 days a week. It can take up to 30 minutes after enrollment for your courses to become active for access. However, in most cases it is within 5 minutes.
3) Enrollments submitted between 9 pm and 8 am (during the night) will be processed by 8:30 am the next morning.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training cannot be done on a mobile device. Cell phones and tablets do not have the required software to run the online In-service courses. A computer with internet access is required to complete the online In-service training.
6) Some students may find that they need to download or update Shockwave, Flash player or Java.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, this is most often the case when trying to use Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.
Posted by Mallory on 9th Apr 2015
The video descriptions of the different signs and the other in action videos were very helpful. Seeing the sign in action next to the object that is being signed along with the word being said out loud helped me to remember. Also, the different descriptions used to say how different signs were done were very helpful and even told ways to relate and remember signs.
Posted by Gene on 30th Jun 2014
The videos of trainers demonstrating the signs was really effective. Much more so than the simple illustrations, as there were times when my interpretation of the illustration did not match the video.
Some of the illustrations would have been more easily understood if offered, or were supplemented, by a profile view. The songs were great, but too fast to learn easily. If I had an option to slow them down or learn them in chunks/lines, I would have picked them up more easily.
I got so much out of this training and have put it to use with the kids, particularly those who can understand a lot of words, but not speak them yet.
Posted by Gene Dowers on 18th Feb 2014
I learned a lot. I am impressed by the volume of signs presented. I liked the format that combined pictures and video demonstrations. The signing of children's songs was really good. With the exception of the songs, there wasn't much instruction on phrasing or commonly used signing combinations, but what was presented was probably plenty for teaching hearing kids some vocabulary. Well worth the time and money.
Posted by Steph on 7th Jun 2011
Great class! I learned alot and can't wait to use it with the kiddos.