Health: Curriculum Development Tools
1 hour / .1 CEU
In-Service Training Course Code: ECE 0804
CDA Competency: Safe and Healthy Environment [1 hour / .1 CEU]
Washington STARS Credit: Administration [1 hour]
Washington Core Competency: Content Area 5: Health, Safety and Nutrition [1 hour]
> Early Care & Education Professionals [1 hour]
Oregon Core Body of Knowledge: Health, Safety & Nutrition [1 hour]
Training Type: Annual Continuing Education
Training Delivery Method: Online
Session Length: 1 Hour
Session Level: 2
Participants will have an opportunity to interact with the trainer/instructor: The student is encouraged to contact the trainer and other student support staff by email, Live Chat, phone for support and resources. Student support hours are 8 am until 9 pm, 7 days a week. Student forum and assignments provide the student with opportunities to share experiences, to engage with the trainer and other students, and to reflect on what they have learned.
Audiences the training applies to:
- Child Care Center
- Family Home Child Care
- Head Start
- Tribal Nations
Language(s) used in training: English
Content Focus Group:
- Preschool Age Children
- Pre-Kindergarten Children
- School-Age Children
- Audio-video with facilitation
- Independent study with supervision
Description of Training Session:
Good and bad habits often develop in childhood. For this reason, child care providers should strive to design and incorporate curriculum that promotes healthy lifestyles, especially in the areas of physical activity, wellness, and proper hygiene. Children who learn to practice proper lifestyle habits now are more likely to benefit from good health and physical well-being.
This lesson details the reasons why physical activity, wellness, and proper hygiene are important for young children. It also outlines methods for child care providers to use when teaching children how to develop healthy lifestyles.
- RECALL methods for teaching children the importance of physical activity.
- RECALL methods for teaching children wellness.
- RECALL methods for teaching children proper hygiene.
- Physical Activity
- End of Lesson Test
This is a self-paced course that and can be saved and resumed during any point. Assessment question and answer sessions during the course monitor the students’ progress, and support the student’s progression, and learning objectives. There is a test at the end of each course. The questions on the test are completely based on the materials covered in the specific course. The student must get 70% or better to pass the test. If 70% is not achieved, then the training system automatically takes the student back through the course to review the materials that were missed on the test. The student is then returned to the test to try again for a second attempt if needed.
All courses are completely online. Nothing will be shipped.
2) Student enrollments are activated between 8 am and 9 pm PST, 7 days a week. It can take up to 30 minutes after enrollment for your courses to become active for access. However, in most cases it is within 5 minutes.
3) Enrollments submitted between 9 pm and 8 am (during the night) will be processed by 8:30 am the next morning.
4) Check your email for instructions to start the training. You will receive an email with the word PASSWORD in the subject line. Click on the link in the email, and use the log-in credential provided to access the course.
5) Attention Mobile Device Users! This training cannot be done on a mobile device. Cell phones and tablets do not have the required software to run the online In-service courses. A computer with internet access is required to complete the online In-service training.
6) Some students may find that they need to download or update Shockwave, Flash player or Java.
7) Some students may find that they have to update their internet browser, this is most often the case when trying to use Internet Explorer. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for the best results. Our student support staff is happy to assist students with troubleshooting should you encounter technical issues, and will provide common suggestions for solving problems that occur when normal browser maintenance or application updates need to occur.
8) Cancellations and refunds requested within 72 hours after enrollment are available for courses/programs that have NOT been accessed. Refunds and Cancellations will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.
9) Once you log in and start a course, a refund is not available. After 72 hours, the payment credit can be transferred to a different training or to a new student if the training was not started by the original student for up to 30 days after enrollment.
10) Refunds are not available after 72 hours.
11) Refunds are not available for courses/programs that have been started.
12) Washington students must submit an evaluation form with a valid STARS ID number upon completion of the course and a certificate will be emailed to you. Certificates are prepared throughout the day, 7 days a week.
13) Completed courses are recorded in MERIT Monday through Friday, throughout the day continuously, between 8 am and 3 PM. If you complete your training in the evening or over the weekend, it will be recorded on the next business day during those hours.
14) During the last two weeks of December, expect longer processing times for enrollment and certificates due to the high volume enrollments and completed trainings during the year end rush. We recommend enrolling and completing your training prior to the end of December whenever possible.